Sunday 14 April 2013

Cabane-à-Sucre

A few weeks ago, I proposed a visit to a cabane-à-sucre to my husband. Much to my surprise, he did not know what I was talking about! "Sugaring Off," I suggested the english term. Still no idea!

And then I realized that although maple syrup is plentiful in Ontario from where my husband hails, a visit to the local "sugar bush" is much more a part of the Quebec culture.  I remember the yearly field trips during elementary school, and most years in high school as well.

So I explained the usual procedure: A visit of the sugar cabin's maple trees from which sap is collected; a sleigh ride; a very typical (and not so healthy) meal of ham, eggs, fried beans, sausage, pork rinds, and pancakes; followed by some optional square dancing to french-canadian music, and ending with a taste of maple syrup toffee poured over ice. 

My husband was not convinced that our daughters were old enough for such an adventure...Coincidentally, within a few days, our toddler's pre-school announced that the kids would be making a trip to a cabane-à-sucre, and the parents were invited along!  And so it was that last Friday, as my mother watched the baby, my toddler experienced her very first cabane-à-sucre...and her mother was there to capture the special moments on film!

On the bus ride over

Enjoying a ride in a horse-drawn carriage 

Her first pony ride!

Eagerly awaiting her meal!

Eating a typical cabane-à-sucre meal

Maple toffee

Yummy!

Some more please!


No comments:

Post a Comment