Saturday 6 August 2016

The Loose Tooth

On the same day that our 6-year old scored her first goal of the soccer season, she lost four teeth. Not that one had to do with the other...

 As of yesterday, she had yet to lose a single baby tooth. But last week, as I helped floss her teeth, I noticed two new central incisors popping out right behind her existing lower central incisors. So we checked to see if she had any loose teeth, and sure enough, she had one wobbly tooth. All week, she was so excited about the prospect of losing her first tooth. She asked that in addition to a coin, I give her some candy. Although I thought giving candy was counterintuitive, I said it depended on the Tooth Fairy. She replied, "but Mama, you already told me that the Tooth Fairy doesn't exist, and you and Papa will be giving me gifts under my pillow".

You might be asking yourself how she lost four teeth? As it happened, she had a pre-existing appointment with her dentist Saturday afternoon, and  when he saw the new teeth growing in, he said four teeth needed to come out to make room for them. She was very brave, I was told (as I was at work), and with the help of some local anesthetic, out came the four teeth. She received a neat carrying case for them in the shape of a tooth, and a few non-candy treats from the dentist's treasure box.



Here is her first toothless grin:




No comments:

Post a Comment