Sunday 5 June 2011

Invasion of the Daycares

CC builds a sand castle

The foul weather finally cleared up, just in time for the last few days of May.  A few days ago, the sun was in full force, and we decided to head out to the neighbourhood park.  The park, once derelict, had undergone impressive renovations.  There are three sections, one play area for 1-6 your-olds, a play area for 6 years and up, and a water park, consisting of large animal-shaped sprinklers that children can run through.  On this bright morning, we headed to the 1-6 year-old section.  I erroneously assumed that the timing was right, that the neighbourhood children would either be in daycare or in school, and my daughter and I would spend a quiet morning in the park.  As we approached the park, I quickly realized that that would not be the case.  There were roughly 50 screaming children, wearing their daycare garb, scattered amongst two of the three sections of the park.  There were only four adult supervisors for the lot, and I started to quietly curse daycares for invading our neighbourhood park.

I decided to give it a go, despite the screaming children, and the equally screaming supervisors (why couldn't they call their charges in quieter voices?). We settled into the only available space, a small corner in the sand.  We sat on the sand, and played with the shovel and bucket.  My curious baby was intrigued by the older children, and the time flew by quickly.  One of the daycare kids, a boy no older than 3 came up to us.
        
   "Hello," he said.
   "Hi," I replied.
   "I live in a group," he said.
   "You live in a group?"
   "Yes, I live in a daycare group."
   "What about your parents?"
   "No," he replied. "I live in a group."

I simultaneously thought this interaction humorous and pathetic.  But most of all, it cemented my thoughts on daycares.  I am fortunate enough to work in a place that is open 24 hours, and I can choose to work week-ends and evenings, thus negating the need for daycares.  But mostly I want our daughter to grow up knowing she lives with us, not in a group home!

1 comment:

  1. Your baby daughter is so fortunate to be always with her loving parents. I pass by day-cares sometimes and I see kids with runny noses (no supervisor cares to clean them), crying babies and no one is free to give them a hug, crying 6-month old babies and no one holds them in their arms. Poor little kids! You are so blessed and so is your adorable little baby girl!

    ReplyDelete