Saturday 3 September 2011

Greetings from NYC

CC tries on mama's heels in a photo taken just prior to departing for NYC

I write these words from the business center in our New York City hotel lobby. The baby is back in Montreal, with her grandmother and her aunt. I was certainly less anxious this time around about leaving her behind. She had such a great time in May when my husband and I had attended a wedding in Toronto without her, so I knew she would be in good hands, and in a familiar environment. We have been coming to NYC over Labour Day weekend for three years now. Partially to attend the US Tennis Open, and in part to visit with some of our NY-based friends.

Last year, we had brought along the Brat. She was 6 months old, and leaving her behind was not a consideration as her main source of nourishment was breast milk. This year, we considered bringing her along. I found a kid-friendly hotel, and even mapped out all of our kid-centred activities; Central Park, the zoo, and various museums. And then I remembered what NYC was like...the crowds, the noisy, smoke-filled streets, and came to the conclusion that NYC is simply not toddler-friendly.

We have barely spent a full day here, and although NYC is vibrant, and very unique, I do not regret leaving our daughter in Montreal. She will doubtless enjoy her mini-visit with her relatives; and as for us, we have already gotten some much-needed rest. I started reading a new book on the flight over, something that I have not done in over a year and a half; my husband and I are once again having conversations not involving the baby; we slept in until almost 9 AM this morning! While I still constantly think of her, I am trying to take full advantage of what will probably be our last mini-vacation before Brat #2 comes along...And then realistically I can't imagine leaving two babies behind, so this will probably be our last mini-break in a very long time...

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy and get as much asleep as you can. Babies are precious and so is a good night asleep.

    ReplyDelete