Saturday 26 November 2011

First Snowfall

Trudging through the snow

I should specify; this is not our daughter's first snowfall, nor this winter's first snowfall. However, it is this winter's most significant snowfall so far, and what will probably be our daughter's most memorable snowfall.

While there have been a few snow flurries recently, the snow never stuck around until this last Tuesday night. I had made plans for Wednesday involving the car, but when we awoke, I quickly realized that my plans would have to be changed. We have not yet installed our winter tires, and there was quite a bit of snow on the ground, and still falling. I resigned myself, and actually told baby # 1 that we would be staying in all day. We did venture downstairs in our condominium complex to check the mail. There, we ran into a little boy her age, accompanied by his grandmother. He was suited up in an impressive snow suit, and they were heading out to enjoy the snowfall. And that's when I decided that we could certainly do the same. While I do not currently own a full snow suit (that would fit given my current shape), I donned my long winter coat, and dressed the baby up in her metallic pink snow suit.

We headed out the back door of our condominium complex, and I thought we would simply loop around and enter through the front. As it happened, baby #1 enjoyed the snow so much that we stayed out for an entire hour. And that's when I realized that if I am to enjoy our harsh winters, then I am going to have to start dressing warmly, and attempt to rediscover the joys of winter. I have fond memories of tobogganing and skating with my sisters growing up, but sadly, I do not remember the last time I enjoyed being outdoors in the winter. I avoided what was left of the winter when our first daughter was born in February of 2010, and only briefly went out with the stroller last winter. But I have a feeling that all that is about to change.

Now if only our winters would start a little later on in the year, and last not so long, the task at hand would be so much simpler...

1 comment:

  1. Soon will your beautiful daughter be making snowman!

    ReplyDelete