Sunday 10 July 2011

Why my baby tried to step on a dog

CC dons her mother's cycling glasses

I don't remember exactly when I first noticed the baby mimicking our actions. It has certainly been at least a six months. At one point, I remember her picking up a cloth and wiping the floor. As I smiled, I made a mental note to myself to clean house less in front of her; but there is only so much I can do once she is in bed, and before I find myself dozing off.

A few days ago, she did something that shocked me, until I quickly realized who she was imitating. We were in our courtyard, talking with one of our neighbours. Our neighbour was there with her family, including a three year-old girl and a very small Yorkshire Terrier. As soon as the baby set eyes on the miniature dog, she gave chase. Then as she approached, she lifted one of her legs. "Please don't step on the dog" said our neighbour with a chuckle. She was intrigued at the site of a baby trying to step on her little dog.

I realized almost instantly what my daughter was doing. One would need a little background information on my mother to understand this odd behaviour on the part of my daughter. Although my mother has lived the majority of her life in Canada, she spent her formative years in the Middle East. She grew up believing, like many of her friends and neighbours that all animals, including dogs and cats belonged outdoors. To her credit, she did eventually grow found of Shasta, the lovely dog that we grew up with. She initially insisted that he stay outdoors. However, my sisters and I insisted more adamently that he be let into the house. He spent only one night outside, and the rest of his nights were spent cuddled with one of my sisters or myself. Although my mother grew attached to our dog, I don't ever remember her patting him.

Then one day, while in medical school, I brought home a white-furred blue-eyed kitten. At the time, Shasta had passed on, and I was living with my younger sister in an apartment not far from downtown Montreal. It became very clear within a few days that our kitten was not the indoor type. We would often bring him along when visiting my parents, and would let him roam around in their backyard. One day, we simply left him at their house. He seemed much happier, and the task of letting him out and feeding him did not seem too much of a burden to impose on my parents. The cat quickly grew attached to my mother, and he would follow her around everywhere, even to the local grocery store. While she also grew found of him, she kept her distance. It would be years before she started to pat him. Not wanting to touch him with her bare hands, she would use her socked foot.

The baby picked up on my mother's patting technique on a recent visit, and as evidenced by her behaviour in the courtyard, generalized it to dogs. I have been trying very hard to undo this behaviour, by gently patting (with my hands) every dog and cat that we come across. My efforts were rewarded, as we met a cat today in the park, and there was not a raised foot in sight!

Now if only she would imitate other behaviors; such as changing her own diaper. Or better yet, we could fall asleep in front of her, and she would instantly do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment