Saturday 20 August 2011

Speechless in Montreal

She couldn't decide between the two...

Every month since baby #1's birth, I have been receiving e-mail notices from Babycenter.  These notices deal with such topics as the baby's physical development, age-appropriate issues, and milestones. Up until now, baby #1 has been well ahead of the pack for physical development, and most milestones. She crawled early, walked early, and much to our dismay also climbed before the average tot. Speaking, however, is another issue.

Our baby turns 18 months this week, and this month's notice dealt with speech. By 18 months, the notice suggested that "She is using one or more words and knows what they mean. She'll even practise inflection, raising her tone when asking a question, saying "Up-py?" when she wants to be carried, for example. She's realizing the importance of talking and how powerful it is to be able to communicate her needs. Between 18 and 24 months, her vocabulary may include as many as 200 words, many of which are nouns. Between 18 and 20 months, children learn words at a rate of 10 or more a day. Some learn new words every 90 minutes, so watch your language. She'll even string two words together, making basic sentences such as "Carry me."  "


While our baby appears to understand several hundred words, and follows complex commands, she does not say much. "Papa" and "mama" have been the only words in her repertoire for the last 6 months. I am not too worried, as it is a well known fact that infants that are exposed to more than one language tend to speak later than the average toddler (and our baby has been regularly exposed to both english and french). Additionally, her father began speaking at 2 years of age; and so far she has taken after him in every respect.

What I find curious is that she has begun to make animal sounds before human ones. Each time we come across a dog, she makes a very good dog-panting imitation. The other animal sound that she has mastered is that of the monkey. While we do not run into too many of those, anytime I read her a book involving a monkey, she makes a very funny "eah eah eah" sound.

One of my friends suggested teaching my baby baby sign language. Is that similar to american sign language?, I asked. Apparently not; it is a sign language of its own. Rather than learn a new language, I have decided to stick with french and english. I am sure that within 6 months, I will be complaining on my blog about how she won't stop talking...

1 comment:

  1. Yes your daughter understands everything I tell her! It's amazing! The other day I asked her if she wanted to go swimming and she ran to the bottom drawer of her dresser and tool out her bathing suit and swimming diaper. Later on when I asked her where her shoes were, she banged on the closet and directed me to the right place. The sweetest thing was when I was changing her and she was squirming all over the place and then I looked at her and said:" Can auntie please put a diaper on you?" and she stopped squirming and lay down nicely as if to say:" of course! Anything for you! I love you auntie!"

    ReplyDelete