Sunday 7 August 2011

Sibling Rivalry

CC looking cool (she placed the hat this way herself)

I am not exactly sure in what context it was first brought up. My older sister, along with her husband and two young sons were visiting last summer from Macau. Perhaps it was after an incident between her two boys. My sister reminded me of our sibling rivalry growing up. What rivalry? I asked. Although we were not best friends growing up, I could not recall any rivalry between the two of us. I could not remember one instance of competing for our parents' attention. I will not deny that I had have a competitive nature; I wanted to win at every game or sport we played, and later on in school, I competed against other students for top marks. However, competing for our parents' attention, I do not recall; although it is possible that my sister remembered our very early years. The preschool period remains a bit of a blur in my mind.

In recent weeks, I have wondered many times how our baby (now almost 18 months) would respond to a sibling. Even though we are very attentive parents, she nonetheless regularly seeks out our attention. For instance, if we stop playing with her, however briefly, to do such things as go to the washroom, she will immediately do something to grab our attention. For instance, she may climb up on the dining room table, or open forbidden drawers. We have come to the conclusion that she would not take well to a sibling.

The other day, we showed her ultrasound images of her future sibling. We announced to her that her sibling (gender to be determined) would arrive approximately two years after her birth, and that she still had about 28 weeks or so to get used to the idea.

The Brat seemed completely unimpressed. Bring on the competition...

Future Rival



2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Your beautiful baby will be happy to have a sibling to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, congratulations! When's the due date?

    ReplyDelete