Saturday 17 December 2011

Sharing (or the lack thereof)

Dressing Up

I had been told by a few of my experienced friends that kids don't have a good concept of sharing until about 4 or 5 years of age. So I was pleasantly surprised that our generous baby seemed to have no qualms over sharing. Whether during playgoups, or on play-dates, she would happily proffer the toys she was playing with or food she was eating with other kids her age. Whether they were toys belonging to the playgroup, or her own did not seem to make a difference.

Until this week, that is. We had not had any kids over to our house in some time, due mostly to a hectic work schedule and some traveling. However, this week our baby's friend, three months her junior, came over for a few hours, accompanied by her mother. This is a friend of hers that we had had many play-dates with, and they had always gotten along quite well. 

About half-way through the visit, our Brat did something that shocked me, and simultaneously made me laugh. She started hoarding her toys, and would add any toy that her friend was interested in playing with. At one point, she was sitting on her quadracycle, holding a teddy bear, a doll, and somehow managed to find a way to also grab an abacus as well as a "push" toy called a "colour roller". All because her friend wanted those same toys. I considered getting the camera out, but felt I needed to be there to mediate. However, nothing I said convinced her to share. Yet when her friend left the room, she was clearly looking for her; she obviously enjoyed her company, but felt possessive vis-a-vis her toys.

While I realize she was acting as a typical child her age would, simply developing a sense of identity, I feared future toy fights...especially with her baby sister. So I googled "how to get your toddler to share", and I discovered that most experts suggested it would be a very gradual process, and that teaching by example would be the best strategy. But wasn't I already teaching by example? The very toys she considers her own are in fact my toys that I chose to share with her...

1 comment:

  1. You posting made me laugh. It is so sweet of her to share everything and meanwhile try to amass everything for herself. This is a perfect growing up process! My youngest daughter started to be very hospitable and generous after the age of 2 and she sill continues to be the most hospitable and the most generous young lady of all times. Your sweet toddler will grow up to be the same, but she should also learn that generosity has to have a limit too.

    ReplyDelete