Saturday 10 December 2011

Third Quarter


Reading with Mama and Baby #2

I recently entered the third trimester of my current pregnancy, thereby reaching the 3/4 mark. I cannot help but compare my two pregnancies. So very similar in some ways, yet different. For instance, a few weeks ago we were enjoying breakfast out with some of our friends. "How is your pregnancy going?" I was asked. And in that moment, I had actually forgotten that I was pregnant, albeit momentarily.

The main difference is that this pregnancy, I am less focused on the pregnancy, no doubt  because of Brat #1. During my first pregnancy, I could tell you how pregnant I was, to the minute, the fundal height, the fetal heart rate (both of which I checked regularly), and how often I was getting Braxton Hix contractions. This pregnancy, I am definitely less concerned about almost everything. Once the nausea lessened at around 20 weeks gestation, I actually often forgot I was pregnant. I have been so focused on the Brat who demands my full attention, that the small details of my pregnancy take a back seat. Rather than worrying about keeping track of all the normal things of pregnancy, I am simply aware that everything is progressing normally.

However, now that I have entered the third trimester, it is harder to forget that I am pregnant. For one thing, my belly is bulging. For another, my centre of balance is definitely off, and I can't do things like play tennis with as much ease as I did in my first two trimesters. Nor can I carry the Brat around without quickly tiring. I have a feeling that it won't be long before the Brat becomes daddy's girl...

1 comment:

  1. Now you will see that with the birth of the new baby life will be much easier for you. When my second daughter was born my first one was very excited that she would go around bringing diapers, bottles, toys, etc, for the new born baby. Your sweet little no.#1 will be so busy entertaining her little sister that you could even take a "nap" while they are playing.

    ReplyDelete