Saturday 14 April 2012

Bad Words

Mischievous!

We had shielded our toddler as much as possible. No television; only supervised play with other kids. Yet it happened; she picked up a bad word.

Last week, we had a play-date with my cousin's daughter, who is an adorable toddler 2 weeks older than Baby #1. Anything our daughter laid hands on that belonged to the little girl was greeted by "that's mine." I remember thinking thank goodness that word is not part of our daughter's vocabulary.

Two days later, as I was putting away one of our toddler's toys, she grabbed it, and clearly and emphatically said "miiiiiiiiie". She left out the n, but I knew what she meant. I was shocked. She has since repeated it on several occasions. I have been doing my best to ignore it. Perhaps if she never hears the word again, she will forget it...

I told my cousin about the word my daughter had picked up, and inquired about where her daughter had picked it up. They don't send her to daycare, and supervise all of her peer interactions as well. As it happened, she had been watching a kids' program with a character that was a "bad example" and very selfish. His signature phrase was "that's mine". It was made clear to the viewers that "this is not how you should act".


Unfortunately, as far as our children go, a bad example is still an example...

2 Months and Counting


1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't worry about "That is mine." It an affirmation that she is trying to defend herself. It is of course very nice to teach our children to be giving and loving and kind, but how about when they go to school and are bullied by other kids. We should teach them to be loving at all times and not to let themselves to be taken advantage of. Your babies look adorable!

    ReplyDelete