Saturday 7 July 2012

Chatterbox

Baby # 2 on Canada Day

Just a few months ago, I had posted a blog about our toddler's language skills, or rather, lack thereof. I need not have worried, as she is now a veritable chatterbox.

Her first full sentence came approximately six weeks ago. My husband had just left for work. Our toddler picked up her play phone and placed a call. "Who are you calling", I asked. To which she replied "Papa". When I asked her what she will say to him when he answers, she replied very clearly "come home Papa".

She has been saying some very interesting things for several months now, and has even used language to manipulate! On one occasion a few weeks ago, she purposely tapped her head against the floor. She followed this up with a "poor baby", then ran to me (where I happened to be holding the baby) and said "kiss" pointing to her head. I could not deny her, and showered her head with kisses. She had no doubt picked up "poor baby" from her grandmother, as I am certain neither my husband, nor I have ever referred to our toddler as such.


Much to my amusement, she has also used language to mimic me. Occasionally, and very much out of the blue, she will (softly) hit her little sister, then say "no," as if to reproach herself, all the while pointing her finger in accusation.


On another occasion, I realized just how much her language skills had progressed when she sounded like a broken record. About 8 weeks ago, we met my cousin and her two daughters at a park. We brought along some snacks for our older girls. Part way through playtime, we snacked at a picnic table. The toddlers did not eat for very long before excitedly returning to the slides, leaving some of their unfinished food on the picnic table. A seagull quickly swooped down and grabbed a fully wrapped cheese stick, flew a short distance away, and devoured it. I explained to the girls what had occurred, and quickly covered the remaining food. Our toddler looked stunned, and quickly said "bird, Stella*, cheese." She repeated this over and over again. Perhaps a hundred times. I was hoping she would forget the following day, but that wasn't the case. Now almost two months removed from the incident, she still mentions it, usually triggered by a bird sighting.

One would think that with increased speech would come decreased whining. However, we still find ourselves saying  "use your words" several times a day...




Enjoying a sweet snack at Grandma's


*Name changed to protect identity of child

No comments:

Post a Comment