Saturday 29 September 2012

Waking Up

In matching owl pyjamas

Our toddler spent the first two years of her life preventing her mother and father from sleeping. And now she seems to have transferred her intentions onto her sister. Anytime she notices her little sister nodding off, whether in the car or at home, she tries to wake her up. Sometimes she makes screeching sounds, and other times she commands her sister "wake up".  "What are you doing?" I sometimes ask her. "I waking up my sister", she points out the obvious.

I have tried explaining to her that when she was a baby, she too needed to nap often, and that I wouldn't let anyone wake her up. When that didn't work, I promised her that as soon as her sister was asleep, I would put her down in her crib, and give her (my toddler) my full attention. Neither did this phase her. I tried turning on her iPad, and opening up her favourite App...to no avail, as she quickly lost interest.

The other day, the baby was so exhausted that she fell asleep, despite her sister's loud protests. I was then able to put her down, and as promised, give my toddler my full attention. I tried to explain that in the future, we could play together more often without the baby if she let me put her to sleep. The next day proved that she had not learned her lesson.

I suppose the one good thing that might come of this is that the baby will become a heavy sleeper...

Almost crawling...

No comments:

Post a Comment