Saturday 9 February 2013

Come February

Sitting?

For a few years now, I have anxiously anticipated the arrival of February. In 2010, the month marked the birth of our first child. It also marked the beginning of sleeplessness that is yet to let up!  February 2012 saw the birth of our second child.

February also seems to mark an annual gastro-intestinal virus for our first daughter. On her first birthday, she was vomiting, and lethargic. A few days before her sister's arrival in 2012, she developed her second gastro-intestinal virus.

So this year, while I look forward to celebrating their birthdays (in a low-key, no-party kind of way), I am also worried about the infamous annual virus.

A few months ago, my husband and I received an invitation to his cousin's wedding on February 9th. As it is being held in Toronto, we would be leaving the kids behind. I hesitated before accepting the invitation, thinking what if the girls get sick and we cannot attend? In the end, we took the chance, booked the best babysitters (my mom and sister), and booked our flights and the hotel room.

Just a few days ago, I was counting down the days, thinking so far so good! Then in the early hours of February 8th, my toddler called to me from her room. I thought I was entering her room to soothe her back to sleep...Instead I became the recipient of vomitus. All over my clothes! I immediately thought of our plans. Next I thought of the baby, hoping that she too would not follow suit.

My toddler vomited intermittently from 2 AM to 6AM, then slept until 8AM. She seemed energetic the rest of the day, and ate relatively well.  As I type these words on the evening of February 8th, the vomiting has yet to recur...And I remain hopeful that our plans will come to fruition. Perhaps it was just something she ate and not a contagious virus? But most importantly, I remain hopeful that our kids will be happy and healthy during our absence...

No comments:

Post a Comment